Archive for March, 2015

Forget about the 1%. How about the rest of us? We are the 99% of college admissions. #emchat #admissions

March 27, 2015

Forget about the 1%. How about the rest of us? We are the 99% of college admissions. #emchat #admissions.

Our Broken College Admission Process and Five Ways to Fix It

March 10, 2015

It’s long but it’s worth the read. College admissions definitely needs some fixing.

College Counseling Culture

Crabby thinks it’s time to overhaul the college admission system…

The complaints are as consistent as they are constant: The college admission process is too stressful, too complicated, too tipped in favor of the privileged, too subject to manipulation, too test-obsessed. Colleges worry about “ghost applicants,” manufactured essays, and how to be fair to everyone; applicant numbers grow even as the number of places stay the same, helping underserved students stretches the budgets of all but the wealthiest institutions. Applicants wonder if they should “show interest” by making multiple trips to campus, sending cookies, or calling to “check in” with their favorite admission officer. Ranking systems are reviled and obsessed over, marketing overwhelms concern for students’ well-being and the goal of “fit.”

Panicked parents and students see the supposed path to success as a narrower and narrower door to squeeze through, with no one seeming to get through undamaged. As much…

View original post 1,707 more words

An Open Letter to My Students: I Am Sorry For What I Am About To Do To You

March 5, 2015

No teacher should have to apologize like this. How do parents show their objection to the PARCC testing if they don’t opt their child out?

Crawling Out of the Classroom

To all of my precious students,

I am sorry for what I am about to do to you.

This week, I am going to have to give you a new test. It’s called PARCC. There will be five separate tests, on four separate days, and my guess is that most of you will hate them.  My guess is that one or two of you will be brought to tears because they will make you feel like you are not smart enough.  My guess is that several of you will give up part way through the test and just start clicking around on the screen. My guess is that some of you will look around at the students sitting next to you to try and figure out if they are also as confused as you are in the hopes of knowing that you are not the only way feeling this way…

View original post 982 more words

An Open Letter to My Students: I Am Sorry For What I Am About To Do To You

March 5, 2015

An Open Letter to My Students: I Am Sorry For What I Am About To Do To You

How do parents show their objection to the PARCC testing if they don’t opt their child out?